Sunday, March 22, 2009

Happy Birthday, Grandmama!

I'm a little late in posting this, but my Grandmama's birthday is today!

She is 84 years young! She is amazing....she probably does more in a couple of hours than I do in a week.

I'm her first grandbaby, so you know she loves me the most. Just kidding.

Here she is holding me when I was a wee thing.



I was born in Mountain Home, Idaho, which was just a few hours from Grandmama's home in Idaho Falls. My dad was in the Air Force and was transferred a couple of weeks after I was born. He was going to training, so my mom and I moved in with my grandparents. I am sure this was taken on one of the days when we lived in Idaho.

When I was about a year old, my Grandmama came to Arizona to feed me my first ice cream cone. From what I hear, I didn't like it too much. Too bad that isn't the case anymore! This picture was taken probably just a few miles from my current house, just 30-something years ago.



Finally, here is a picture of my Grandmama with my brother, Todd. This was taken the day before I got married. We were all scrambling to finish getting the house ready for the open house the next night. My Grandmama probably did as much work as anyone.



I talked to her on the phone and she told me the funniest story that happened on Friday. She had 2 of her great-granddaughters over. She has some flower beds in her front yard that she wanted to get ready for the spring flowers. She asked the little girls (they are 7 and 4, I think) to help her. She got a shovel for herself and spades for the girls. She told them she would turn over the dirt and it was their job to break up the big clods. The older of the two girls, thinking that this was too big of a job for her "Nana," told her, "Oh, Nana, you are too old to do that." Grandmama, who was 29 for 29+ years, asked, "What?" And Grandmama could hear the brakes come squealing to a stop in her great-granddaughter's head. "Oh, Nana, I mean, you just a little old." My Grandmama will never be too old to do anything!

2 comments:

Kerri Lindstrom said...

Does she still live in Idaho Falls? I live about 15 minutes from there.

Kerri

Anonymous said...

That is so cute! Your granmother is beautiful!

My word is powlarbr

I will never eat another powlarbr again!