Saturday, March 13, 2010

Idle (The Rabbit Song)....by Hem

So periodically I choose a totally random song from my music library and post about it.

It makes me use my stream of consciousness many times, since the titles can be a little "out there."

Have you ever known someone who absolutely cannot, for the life of them, sit and do only one thing? Or, especially, nothing?

I have known people like that.

I, however, am not one of those people.

I can sit, unfortunately, for hours and do next to nothing. Especially when I have a long list of things to accomplish.

I seem to function best when I am moments away from a deadline. In school, I was the one who would start researching my essays the night before they were due. I would take a lower grade, even, and so I could turn them in late.

I am constantly running late because I wait as long as possible to get ready to leave. That, and my talent for grossly underestimating the amount of time it takes me to get ready for my day.

One night, a roommate and I were talking about the "Mysteries of the Universe" and how she could spend hours contemplating the unanswerable questions of life. She asked my opinion, to which I responded, "Hmmm...I don't really think about that stuff." She was aghast! How could I not think of such imponderables?! She asked what I could possibly be thinking during my idle time. I told her I really didn't know....that my mind must be blank. I think she almost decided that I was entirely too shallow for words, since I didn't even know whether I had thoughts.

I sometimes try really hard to do more than one thing at a time--to multi-task with the best of them. The most I can do is listen to music and do another task. An easy task. Like dishes. Watch TV and work out? Nope! Laundry and TV? No way! TV and listen to my husband? Yep! Unless I'm supposed to retain what we talk about. I guess the problem here is TV. I spend way too much of my idle time with it and I am addicted. I have way too many shows that I DVR. We have actually run out of DVR space before. On several occasions. But it's my crack and I'm not ready to give it up.

It is, after all, the way I discovered Hem. I kept seeing a commercial for Liberty Mutual insurance about "paying it forward." It had a great message and the song was beautiful. I would listen to a bit, pause the DVR, write down some of the words, listen to more, and so on. I googled the phrases and came to discover Hem. They are one of my favorite bands.



And so you see, a little Idle-ness can bring some happy-ness.

*PS-I usually link to the song that inspired the post. But, unfortunately, after I wrote this post, I realized I couldn't find a link to the song. So I posted the song that inspired my search for Hem.

No comments: