Saturday, October 8, 2011

Here today...gone tomorrow

You know how things that are uber cool today are has-beens tomorrow?  Sorta like leg warmers were so cool in 1982, but in 1983 (by the time I got some), they were not any kind of good.

Well, here are a few fads that I wish would hurry up and make their way to "outsville."

Chevron-ifying EVERYTHING!  The chevron design doesn't bother me.  But the fact that everything has to have a chevron does.

French macarons.  They are plain ole yucky.  Perhaps because I'm not a fan of meringue and macarons are mostly meringue.

All things Twilight.  I understand people like the series, but grown women acting like a vampire is going to magically transport them to another land and make all their dreams come true is really creepy.  (I've never read the books or seen the movies, so I don't know if that is what happens.  If I spoiled the ending, sorry.  It was just a guess.)

Chalkboard paint.  It wasn't bad at first.  But now it seems like people are making chalkboards out of the craziest things.  One of the things that didn't make any kind of sense to me was glasses for guests to drink out of at a party.  The guests were to write their names on the glasses so that they could tell their glass from all other guests' glasses.  Ok...let's think about this.  Assuming the beverage is cold, in most climates, the glass would accumulate some amount of moisture.  Causing the chalk to run.  DOI!

Martha Stewart.  Not only is she condescending, she takes credit for a staff full of behind-the-scenes worker bees.  And they LET her.  But those are not the reasons I wish she would stop being the "IT" factor.  It's the pictures of her I see online.  She has been airbrushed too much and looks foolish.  Maybe the next time they (whoever they are) airbrush her, she'll vanish.  Just like her wrinkles seem to have vanished.

Socialspark.com.  If you read more than a handful of blogs, you probably have noticed that they all seem to post about the same thing around the same time.  For awhile, it was Florida oranges (that even if they are green, they are ripe), next it was avocados and how to make avocado fries, then it was Tresemme's newest product (dry shampoo), and now it seems to be Boy Scouts of America.  Here's the deal.  If all these bloggers had been given the products and asked to review them, that would be marginally ok.  But these bloggers were given the products with some canned remarks to post.  "How do you know that, Stephanie?"  Because they all said the same thing.  Word.For.Word.  Don't tell me these are your true opinions.  Unless all the bloggers were in a think tank and came up with what to say together.  But that didn't happen.  And it feels more than a little disingenuous.  Or maybe from now on, I'll memorize the commercials on TV, invite my friends over to my house, and then re-enact the commercials to plug the latest toilet paper or room deodorizer.  But then again, probably not.

So, maybe my next post should be things I wish would never go out of style.

Or things I love.  You know, to give things a positive spin.



No comments: